The faceplate had come loose on the drive again and was rubbing against the tape hubs. The first time I tried to repair it I used contact adhesive which looked similar to what was used originally but didn't hold for long. The casting is not smooth so it didn't bond well. This time I used RTV silicon adhesive.
The tape hubs and faceplate are removed showing the friction bushings behind the hubs. When I got the drive originally they had dries oil/grease which prevented the motor from turning freely. If when you turn the hubs by hand they rotate backward after you stop turning then these bushings need cleaning. I used a little light grease on them. For some reason one transport has plastic washers and the other doesn't.
Previous picture Next picture
Back to Previous page All of PDP-8 TU56 DECtape Drive pictures